It is the Filipino version of the ever-popular Italian pasta. My version requires use of brown sugar, sweet Italian sausage and banana catsup.
I know it is weird to have some of these ingredients, but it brings up a completely new flavor that is totally Filipino.
I made this for our Sunday lunch upon my daughter’s request.
Try this recipe. So easy and affordable! All ingredients are from ALDI except the banana catsup- you can buy it in any Filipino or Asian store.
• 1 lb. spaghetti
• 1 small bottle banana ketchup
• 1 small can tomato paste
• 6 small cans tomato sauce
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 small onion, cubed
• Minced garlic
• 1 package sweet Italian sausage
• Salt & pepper to taste
• Shredded cheddar cheese
• Cooking oil
1. In a large pot with water, bring to a boil.
2. Add the spaghetti noodles and cook until tender (see package for cooking time) then set aside.
3. Heat oil and brown the sweet Italian sausage on both sides. Set aside.
4. Using the same oil, sauté the garlic and onions.
5. Add-in the ground beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until done.
6. Add-in the tomato sauce, banana catsup, tomato paste, and brown sugar then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Place the sauce on top of the cooked noodles and add some cheese.
8. Serve hot & enjoy!
Ruth D. Ezra is a culinary queen in her own right through experience and training. She is a bookkeeper by profession at AllState Roadside Services in Northbrook, IL. Her greatest delight is serving good and healthy food to her husband Heman and only daughter, Isabelle. Kit would love to receive feedback on her recipes, and exchange them with yours at email@example.com.